career opportunity • application deadline March 1st
business development & Partnership lead
Internet of Elephants is a one of a kind start up that develops games and digital products for the benefit of wildlife conservation. Using the real data gathered from the tracking devices of our conservation partners and bringing in cutting edge augmented reality, our team of technologists and conservationists aim to tell the stories of structure in a never been done before way that brings wildlife into the daily lives of the public.
What we are looking for
We are seeking an experienced business development professional who can leverage our existing IP/concepts and partners to create new opportunities to turn IoE from an inspiring & innovative start-up into a viable business and a significant contributor to wildlife conservation.
Internet of Elephants looks at partnerships across three primary categories. Conservation organizations that are contributors and beneficiaries of our work; conservation organizations or commercial organizations who are buyers of our work; and commercial organizations who are distributors of our work.
This is a great opportunity to live and work in the “Silicon Savannah”, Nairobi, Kenya and play a huge role in the growth of a budding enterprise. Bring your professional background to our creative organization, and directly influence our ability to both support wildlife conservation and be a successful business at the same time.
This is a senior level position with senior level accountability. You’ll be working with all members of the team from our CEO to our creative director to our game developers but you will also in many cases be the face of the organization to our most critical partners. You will have independence in the role but will also always have help when needed to:
- Develop business strategy: Work with CEO to develop IoE business strategy for how IoE product offerings can provide value to different sectors.
- Define product/market fit: Work with the IoE creative team to continuously evolve product/market fit and how that is communicated to potential partners.
- Be our partnership lead: Grow and maintain relationships with all IoE existing partners including clients, conservation partners, and commercial organizations. Be the primary contact for all these relationships.
- Find new opportunities: Identify and develop new strategic client, conservation, and commercial relationships.
- Communicate our offering: Develop professional and attractive documents to support the sales and client relationship process, including pitch documents, briefs, concept notes, partner updates, etc.
- Structure deals: Negotiate MOUs, contracts, deals, etc.
- Provide leadership: Play a leading role in strengthening the IoE ’culture’
- Help where needed: Be a ‘can-do’ partner in the overall growth of a start-up (do what needs doing)
The business development and partnership lead reports to CEO/Founder.
We believe with the right attitude and state of mind people can accomplish things way beyond their experience. That being said, some ‘hours behind the wheel’ always helps. If the following feels familiar to you, we invite you to apply:
Demonstrated experience developing and communicating business strategy.
Senior level responsibility in either non-profit fundraising, raising investment, or commercial sales, preferably two of the three.
Poise and stature when communicating with ‘C’ level executives of both small and large organizations.
Highly personable and able to naturally create and foster relationships.
Can make or direct the creation of impressive and impactful presentations and deliver those as the face of the company.
Can both open doors and structure and close deals, while maintaining the culture and personna of the company.
Fluent in verbal and written English – as in perfect.
Great to Haves
While not mandatory, any of the following will have a positive impact on the ability to be successful in this role.
- Experience in the wildlife conservation and the wildlife conservation sector
- Experience in the NGO and development sector in general
- Experience in the commercial games sector
- Knowledge of American and/or British work culture
- Experience in financial modeling
We are primarily based in Nairobi, Kenya, and feel the best and most successful work experience will come from being close to the team. We’re open to individuals based in London or Washington DC, but otherwise are looking for people in or willing to re-locate to Nairobi. Nairobi is a vibrant and growing city and also the hub of technology innovation on the African continent. Not to mention the year round perfect weather and all the wildlife you can experience just a short drive away.
Four of our six team members work primarily from a cozy office in a co-working space called The Foundry in the bustling area of Westlands, walking distance to leafy residential areas, restaurants, and shops. Our co-working space is shared with 6 other organizations working on technology and social enterprises focused on the East African market. We often need to travel to other wildlife conservation organizations for pitches, partnership meetings, etc., though those are still most of the time within the Nairobi area. Our primary data scientist sits in Bristol, UK and our social media lead sits out of Bangalore, India, but we all stay well connected through Slack, Skype, and regular meetings throughout the week.
Salary and Benefits
We will develop an attractive package of salary, equity, holiday, and other benefits based on experience and qualifications.
Send a cover letter, CV, and anything else you want to communicate to us to email@example.com